Have you ever wondered how do those complex applications on your cell phones and laptops consoles work? Or how do these computers work and perform such crucial tasks all at once?
Well, a simple answer to these questions is an OPERATING SYSTEM.
With the advent of technology and modernization, the functions performed by our computers have also paced at a rapid rate. It not only performs the task of simple calculation but can also give answers to all those tough maths problems.
This all is possible by the use of operating systems. Today there are a variety of operating systems running in supercomputers, computers, video game consoles, and mobile phones. Here is a detailed analysis of the Best operating system available in the market.
What is an operating system?
An operating system also known as OS performs the basic activity of controlling peripherals and scheduling the tasks assigned to the computer. It also manages computers hardware and software resources at the same time performs all the common functions of a computer.
ALSO READ: Top 5 Green Screen Software Free Download
Functions of an operating system
After understanding the main purpose of having an operating system in a layman’s language it is important to understand the targeted functions that an operating system performs in a more theoretical way. So here are some of the basic functions of the operating system listed below
SECURITY– prevents any unauthorized access to the programs and protects the data of the users by using password-protected techniques.
COORDINATION– an ideal operating system coordinates and assigns compilers, assemblers, and other software to various users.
ACCOUNTING– an operating system will keep a record of the resources used by various users for their respective tasks which can later be used to track resource usage for any particular user.
PERFORMANCE– it constantly improves performance by monitoring the system health and recording the time between service request and response.
MEMORY MANAGEMENT– the main memory of the computer is managed by the operating system as it keeps track of the main memory i.e. which byte of the memory is used by which user and for what purpose. Thus it keeps the record of the memory bytes that have already been utilized and also the untouched memory bytes still waiting for use. It allocates the memory on user requests and deallocates it when the process terminates.
OVERALL MANAGEMENT OF THE DEVICE– the operating system also manages the device communication via their users. It keeps the track of all the other devices connected to your system and also decides which process can get accessed by which device and for how long.
ERROR DETECTION AND HANDLING – the operating system detects and types of errors and bugs in the device, or any mistake that occurs during the task. A well-built operating system will also act as a countermeasure and will prevent any sort of breach to your computer systems from and another device.
Best operating systems
Well, there are a number of operating systems running nowadays but here are some most common and some of the most promising operating systems listed below:
- MS –Windows
- Mac OS
- Chrome OS
- Free BSD
1. MS Windows
A well-known operating system running from windows 95 to windows 10, MS Windows is one of the finest operating systems running in our android laptops and computers. It till date dominates the world’s personal computers and also has a share of 90% in the market. As of now the latest version available on computers is windows server 2022, while the latest version of windows on tablets, and PCs is Windows 10. A specialized version is also designed for Xbox one and other Xbox series.
- The start menu feature on windows 10 OS on the left containing tiles with application name on the right helps in easily accessing the desired applications.
- Windows 10 allows its user to do multi-tasking by switching between multiple work spaces
- It provides its users with two interface modes; one of them being the classic mouse – keyboard interface and the other being the tablet mode made for touch screen users.
- A strong password protection is also introduced through methods of PIN, face lock and finger prints.
$119 – $199
- The software stands best for gaming and browsing
- Its two interface feature has proved to be a great step taken for the user to have a convenient browsing experience.
- Windows 10 is currently facing major security threat issues
- The price is something to bother about.
2. MAC OS
Also known as the backbone of all apple applications; this application has stood on the definition of up-gradation and innovation in the most righteous way. The first desktop version of Mac OS was released in March 2001. A prominent thing about mac operating system is its original brand identity. Apple has continued to change the appearance and design of the Mac operating systems which is a huge eye-attracting thing for the users.
- Its new dark mode feature has really attracted a lot of users
- The introduction to apple SIRI provides its users with a notably intelligent assistance
- You can discover apps of your choice with the help of mac apple store
- It provides you with intensified security by making your profile more anonymous.
Free with apple devices
- It is one of the most advanced and finest looking OS today due to its way of designing.
- It includes no additional purchasing cost as it comes free with all apple devices.
The heavy cost of purchasing Apple devices in order to access the mac OS is a latent burden for common people.
A commonly used OS in organizations and schools, this Linux-based software is open-source software and thus is free to download and use. It is the most popular operating system for cloud computing and is released every six months, the long-term support release after every two years.
- Unlike mac OS , Ubuntu is an operating system that will work on every laptop , mobile and computer
- Being open sourced it is easily accessible by the people
- This operating system is versatile not just for its functions but also because it comes in 50 more languages
- It’s in built virus protection software makes it one of the most secure operating system
- A default installation of Ubuntu comes with a wide range of software’s that includes Firefox, thunderbird and libre office. Best for gaming the operating system also comes with some of the pre-installed light weight gaming apps like Sudoku and chess.
- For people who can’t afford heavy prices of apple gadgets and windows; Ubuntu can be a great alternative.
- The robust interface can be a hard to deal for users as it runs quite slower than other interfaces.
- It is very conventional to modern technology and therefore lacks behind in some basic tasks for example it is not capable of playing MP3 files by default. The drivers support is also absent in most of the cases in comparison to the operating systems.
4. Chrome OS
Another Linux-based operating system is chrome. Designed by Google; it is one of the most popular operating systems that run web applications on your desktops. The first Chrome OS laptop known as chrome book came in May 2011. Chrome OS is pre-installed on hardware from Google and also acts as an open-sourced platform.
- The “everything” button in the new version of chrome OS enables you to find everything quickly ranging from files and applications to the answers of your online test papers.
- The email, and spreadsheets can also be accessed offline and doesn’t always require an internet connection.
- Just like windows OS chrome OS is also well suited for android applications. It has an integrated media player and file manager which supports chrome apps and other native apps as well.
- Being Linux based; it allows an easy access to all Linux based software’s.
- Sync to multiple computers
- Lots of extensions available
- A lot of memory usage (RAM)
- Tab memory between work sessions
A powerful and flexible Linux-based operating system that contains the best datacenter technologies is the fedora. It is a trusted open source and provides a strong foundation to provide money for Ubuntu’s open-source features. Since the release of the fedora 30, five other different versions are also available which include a workstation, core OS, silver blue, and loT. These all are designed mainly for personal computers and cloud computing use. Silver blue also focus on immutable desktop services.
- A built in intensified fire wall system makes it threat free
- A developers have pacified the Gnome 3 environment by providing its users with sleek interface
- Along with commonly used applications ; this operating system contains several in built applications that have proved to be promising
- It will provide you with a variety of tools and languages all just a click away.
- Secure with unique security features and comes with some amazing default security options.
- Available in many architectures and designs
- A clumsy and long set up time can be tiring for its users.
- A fedora comes with its own server thus the user cannot use any other server at the same time. Which means the user has to stick to just one server at a time.
6. Free BSD
It is a free and UNIX-based open-sourced platform. The first version of this was released in the year 1993. Being somewhat similar to Linux-based operating systems it comes with the basic two major differences in scope and licensing.
Its codebase has become an integral part of few others operating systems such as Darwin, software used for PlayStation, and gaming consoles.
- Free BSD can be installed on a regular desktop or a laptop. Although it primarily focuses on x86-32 and x86-64 platforms but it also supports other platforms like power pc , MIPS and ARM
- It provides with a number of desktop environments such as GNOME and KDE as well as window managers that are light weighted like flux box and open box.
- Free BSD comes with fine grained capabilities and provides several security related features including mandatory access controls. It also comes with three different firewall packages ; IPFW , PF, IP filter.
- It is an ideal operating system for internet and intranet services and has the capacity to manage large loads and capability to handle multiple users simultaneously in the real time.
- It is an extremely clean, predictable and compatible operating surplus that comes with good documentation and licensing.
- Being a monolithic kernel, it is one of the most secure operating systems and act as a really good alternative to traditional UNIX platforms.
- Users can find it a bit hard to understand as it is quite complex and needs a good amount of practice.
- Issues of hardware compatibility and less developer support have been reported several times.
Best operating system side by side comparison
|Operating system||Website||Price||Tasks best in||Security and protection level|
|Windows OS||Windows||$119 – $199||Apps, gaming, browsing||Moderate|
|Mac OS||Apple||Free||Apple apps||High|
|Ubuntu||Ubuntu||free||Open-source applications download, APPS||High|
|Chrome OS||Free||Web applications||Low|
|fedora||Fedora||Free||Coding, hobbyists, and corporate use||High|
|Free BSD||Free BSD||Free||Networking||High|
Like the two faces of a coin. Every operating system comes with its own pros and cons. While some of them have upgraded themselves while others are still working on their shortcomings. Hence, the decision of what serves best for the users majorly lies on the need of the user and the purpose of their use. For example, windows stand best for one’s personal use like gaming and browsing. For businesses, one can opt for any Linux or UNIX-based software and if you are an Apple user then you have to stick to the Mac OS. Thus, what may work for one might not work for other.
The advantages of a multi-processor system are as follows
The latest version of Windows requires a RAM of 4 GB.
Ubuntu uses a graphical user interface and a command-line operation interface.